books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Saturday, February 09, 2008

(Debby)
I still think I read more novels than you watch movies, Amanda. You probably watch more TV than I read periodicals and newspapers (is that a fair comparison? Movies=novels; TV=periodicals and serial novels? Probably, in these days of TV shows on DVD, that is not fair. But what is a better comparison?)
And speaking of movies, I think I've seen Forbidden Planet. Isn't Leslie Nielson (is that how it is spelled? Canadian? Naked Gun movies?) the captain in it? I saw it back in the heady days when I stayed with my brother and his family, and they got the Science Fiction channel. Not much bad to say about the Science Fiction channel...except for all the bad science fiction, and weren't they somehow responsible for Dune 2000?
Speaking of which, I started Dune, the book, again. I read/skimmed the first three books of the very, very long Dune series a long time ago (college? high school?), and it didn't do anything for me. But of course i love Dune the movie. And the problem with loving Dune the movie is that for whatever reason it sure does seem like the only other people in the world who love Dune the movie are people who love Dune the book, and then they tend to say things like "Dune 2000 was more faithful to the novel," which may be true, but totally bypasses the point that the only purpose Dune 2000 serves is to highlight how awesome the original Dune movie is.
Anyways, I'm giving the books a try again because my friend John, who I highly respect and who was willing to watch the extended version of the original Dune with me (while Julia alternately slept on the couch and was miserable. Sorry, again, Julia) and who did, in fact, say that Dune 2000 was more faithful but at least was willing to agree with me that it was lifeless and insipid, John recommends the Dune books.

But I have to admit, I have been side-tracked by Proust again. Checked the first volume of In Search of Lost Time out of the library again (No, I hadn't finished it last time. Got through Combray, which is possibly the most beautiful piece of writing ever, and was all satiated (is that the word? filled up?)). So now I'm on Swann in Love, also great, although I think I liked Combray more.
Hold on, I need to get up on a soapbox.

People....PROUST IS NOT INACCESSIBLE OR HIGHLY ACADEMIC - at least, not the english translation i'm reading - IT IS JUST SIMPLY GORGEOUS AND YOU WILL WANT TO WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT.

There. Now I've made my point(s).
Recap:
- What are the proper print counterparts to movies & TV? I'm not sure
- Forbidden Planet was highly entertaining
- Dune 2000 was terrible, and not even entertainingly terrible, and I apologize to everyone who I cajolled into watching it (or at least parts of it) in the year 2001 (I think you were still in Scotland, Amanda, so you escaped seeing the one kid from Part of 5 play the 'evil' Feyid Harkonnen.)
- Proust: why was I always intimidated? Are you? Don't be! Is all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home