books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Thursday, February 07, 2008

(Debby)

Books to Movies and Back Again

Bad Book to Great Movie

As mentioned earlier, probably the worst book to be made into a truly great movie would be The Children of Men.

Great Book to Great Movie

Holes – by Louis Sachar. Man, that book is the bomb-diggity. And the movie? They just do it so right.

A Movie I Always Loved and a Book I Never Could Find

Hey Amanda, are you going to watch Bladerunner in your science fiction film class? Bladerunner. My favorite my-asthma-has-gotten-bad-and-i-need-to-breathe-on-the-nebulizer movie. I have watched Bladerunner in a slightly oxygen-starved state so many times, and it was always good. I’ve also watched it since my asthma is better controlled, and I still love it. When I went to Bangkok, my first time in Asia, all I could think as I walked down the street that first day was THIS LOOKS LIKE THE SET OF BLADERUNNER! BANGKOK IS THE FUTURE! I can’t believe I’m in Bangkok and all I can relate it to is Bladerunner. OH MAN, THIS TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE BLADERUNNER!!!

I knew that the movie was based on the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, a pulp science fiction author. I looked for that book for over a decade. Along the way, I found a few collections of short stories – they were really, really disturbing.

Did I say that he was a really, really good pulp science fiction author? He was. He churned out amazing visions of the future – he created new realities and then explored all the aspects of mundane life within them. He created internally consistent universes. Oh, yes, that’s right – internally consistent universes.

So, there I was, in the Heathrow Airport, on my way back from the States to Kenya, feeling fairly exhausted and sorry for myself, and I finally found it – Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep – for way too much money, and in sterling pounds, too. I bought it, and I read it, and it was awesome. More awesome than Bladerunner. That’s right – more awesome than Bladerunner. The plot is more awesomer, the world is more fascinatingly messed up, the characters are…awesome.. I don’t…I don’t even know what else to say.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Nick is constantly trying to get me to read Philip K Dick, but thus far i've refused. Well, I read half of one and it sort of freaked me out. Maybe I should give him another chance. But you, Debby, totally need to read the Clan of the Cave Bear series. It's kind of terribly written and should be about half as long as it is, but still awesome. Awesome! I think we had this discussion at Christmas...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home