books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Thursday, February 07, 2008

(Amanda)
Yup, we will be watching Blade Runner in April. I'm embarrassed to say I've never really seen it ~ aside from that one time in Scottdale ~ but I was cutting out New Yorker pictures and that certainly can't count as a viewing.
Last night we saw Forbidden Planet, a great '56 flick that was all revolutionary-like with its character design (Robby the Robot, an iconic sci-fi lad who showed up in many future shows and films), excellent sets, and the first-ever entirely electronic score. It was also the introduction of the theremin to film. I love me some theremin.

Debby, leave me alone. I'm also not convinced that I can handle the 'aren't small town folk quirky!?!?!' of Gilmore Girls. DESPITE that, it's a great show, but because of that, it will never be a great show. There you go, that last sentence will be my print-legacy someday.

I just got started on a genuinely-fantastic-in-every-way show, Big Love. It's yet another perfect HBO show ~ this one's about a polygamous family. It's got a killer cast (Bill Paxton, Chloe Sevigny, Jeanne Tripplehorn, a couple of the Veronica Mars [wooh!] kids), a completely fascinating scenario, great characters, perfectly executed.

I have to go write a short paper for my horror class. I'm gonna try to impress my very British professor with a mind-blowingly brilliant 2-3 pages on the transformation scene in An American Werewolf in London. This is the first step in my very clever scheme that will, hopefully, result in him being on my committee. A Brit horror expert ~ yes, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home