books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Thursday, January 24, 2008

(Amanda)
I finally figured how to post! I don't yet know what my shtick is going to be on this blog. Debby has to read a whole book for each post and I only have to watch a little telly ~ I should probably keep these short. So, yeah, I might go for the brief commentary rather than anything thoughtful...

Last night was the first meeting of my incredibly brilliant Science Fiction class. We watched Metropolis ~ a movie I have somehow never seen. It is FANTASTIC. Very ballet-like. Brigitte Helm, as Maria (and the seven deadly sins, and the Maria-bot, and on and on), is hilarious. Check out her 'seductive dance', please. If you are not seduced, you will be entertained, at the very least. But, yeah, Metropolis ~ brilliant.

I'm also plowing my way through Gilmore Girls. I'm pretty much over my lack of love for the hammer-to-the-head adorableness factor ('aren't small-town folk quirky!?!?) and I'm really enjoying the soapy plots. Rory just got together with Jess (Milo, the droop-to-the-right-mouth-Peter-Petrelli of Heroes) after a year of extreme foreshadowing ~ isn't it satisfying when the plot finally delivers what it's been promising for so very long? It is just a matter of time before Lorelai and Luke pair up ~ it's been promised since episode one. But, yeah, the witty high-speed banter ~ the show is famous for it and it's well deserved.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home