books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Friday, October 31, 2008

(Debby)

Things One Shouldn’t Do

I had a hard day at work, so when I came home I decided to do some things I usually don’t do:

- eat a great deal of sausage (I usually don’t have meat in the house)
- take a bath (which involves turning on the hot water heater & using lots of water)
- making some damn fine hot chocolate with cayenne paper (which involves milk, and I was fighting a cold and drinking milk just makes colds worse for me)
- speed-flipping through The Corrections. Generally I would agree that it is just rude to sit down with a perfectly fine book and read a bit, start to get upset or bored so skip 100 pages and read a bit, flip through another 150 pages and read, etc. But sometimes that’s just what I feel like doing.

Anyways, the whole thing did me a lot of good. I never thought I would like The Corrections, and if I had read the entire book I don’t think I would have, but I liked the parts that I read, and it felt good to skip over parts that I pretty much knew I wasn’t going to like. So, sorry Jonathan Franzen, but you shouldn’t have been so rude to Oprah. Not because she is Oprah (I, too, have a desire deep down to be rude to her), but you know it’s never good to look like you aren’t interested in the popularization of literature. Plus, it’s just something on shouldn’t do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home