books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Monday, September 22, 2008

(debby)
More DFW links

In the interests of transparency, I should point out that I have developed a post-humous and hence rather sad crush on David Foster Wallace. This has directly led to me not doing work at a time when I have rather more than the usual panic-inducing mound of urgent work, and to sitting in the office and reading obituaries and old short stories and essays, getting teary-eyed, and then pretending to my supervisor that this is because of the global food crisis. And that, in turn, is sending me to a very special ring of Hell.

I can also attribute to this my extensive foot-noting of one of my GRE essays (the boring, “Argument” one). Time (roughly three weeks) will tell whether my appointed GRE essay scorer will appreciate, or at least tolerate, this.

Also, I failed to mention before that he was from the Midwest, and that this makes his work even more very very special, as most modern American literature seems to be written by people who are not aware that the Midwest section of the United States of America exists.

a brilliant article about going on a 7 day cruise

a lecture about Kafka being funny

a very short story from Girl With Curious Hair

and more from the Harper's Archives

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home