books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Saturday, September 20, 2008

(Debby)
Good-bye, David Foster Wallace

The week before last I found a really discounted copy of The Broom of the System, David Foster Wallace's first novel, at a Nairobi bookstore. It is hilarious and wonderful and awesome.

This week he killed himself.

On the whole, I dislike reading short stories. I don’t know why. I guess I’m more of a fan of character development and plot structure and generally short stories have a hook or a gimmick and that’s it. I don’t like how they make me feel.

But I love Girl with Curious Hair, a collection of his short stories and one wildly bizarre novella.

No one should write any more short stories unless they are like Girl with Curious Hair, and no one can write like that but David Foster Wallace, and David Foster Wallace is dead. oh man.

I got the following links from Amanda:
- Infinitely Sad, a Slate obituary, including a clip of DFW on Charlie Rose.
- another Slate piece, with people who knew him talking about him.
- The best food writing on the Maine Lobster Festival. Ever.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I see why you like this guy, you write similarly. The most thoughtful essay on lobster I have read, by far.

    Oh, and your statement re: reshaping your tears to be re: the world food crisis was toooooo much! You are too funny.
    Kroo

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home