books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

(Debby)

If on a winter’s night a traveler by Italo Calvino – This is the third time I’ve started this book, but I think this is the first time I’ve finished it. Well, I don’t know why I didn’t finish it before. It’s a lovely book. Really fun – a Reader who keeps starting books and then being thwarted from finishing them. Written by a genius Italian the year I was born, 1979.

The River Midnight – Lilian Nattel – Thanks Sasha and Amber for giving this one to me! A very sweet book about people living in a village in 1894 Poland. (I have to admit, I was a bit worried because Amber said she really loves historical fiction, but it’s okay folks – these are not ‘real-life’ characters, and thank goodness, because they really are great characters instead of being trapped by the confines of their life stories). And written by a Canadian! Well done, Canadian fiction. Well done, again.

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul – Douglas Adams – Also passed on by Sasha and Amber – yeah! This is an oldy but goody. Okay, it’s not The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe, but it’s still Douglas Adams and that’s a good thing.

Question: Is The English Patient historical fiction? I borrowed a copy from a friend’s library and was all excited to read it, having really enjoyed the one book by Michael Ondajti that I’d read (Anjil’s Ghost), but then it starts with a quote from some report or newspaper or something about the guy and what happened to him and his wife.

I ain’t reading no historical fiction, even if it is written by Michael Ondajti. But it would I guess be rather silly if it turned out that, in fact, the quote that is throwing me off is actually fiction

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home