books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Thursday, May 15, 2008

(Debby)
(thanks for the post, amanda!)

not so awesome:

- Aliens (the movie) – Yeah, it’s okay, but I don’t feel like it added much to my life. I mean, Sigorney Weaver is awesome. But I actually got a bit bored, and I didn’t like seeing the aliens. Especially that Mother. ew.

- The Boys from Brazil (the book) – When I am knocked off-balance by life, I re-read books. Recently this happened, and I decided to try to break out of at least one mold. So here is a library book, new to me, although written by Ira Levin and I’d read The Stepford Wives so not a complete unknown, but still, a start. The book is about Nazis and genetics and it was a disappointment.

awesome:

- TREASURE ISLAND! (the book) - Man, I am so excited about Robert Louis Stevenson. People! It’s a cracking good adventure. I am thoroughly enjoying it. Great characters!
Side note: I guess all I ever read were watered down re-tellings of Treasure Island (and Kidnapped) they make into kid’s books. Someone needs to stop publishing those things.
Side side note: Do you think of Long John Silver as being swarthy or blonde? Dude, he is totally BLONDE. With an extremely honest and gregarious visage. A total charmer. He’s one-legged, but he doesn’t have a peg leg – he gets around with a crutch. So let’s wipe our idea of him right on out of our heads.

- Alien:Resurrection (the movie) – is AWESOME!! Way on back in the day I saw it and I just didn’t get it. But now I do! Directed by one of the French dudes of the pair who did City of Lost Children and Delicatessan and Amelie, and I just love their lighting and the actors they use and the way they film people and people in motion. Yeah! And guess who wrote it… Joss Wheddon! I did not know that. Total Joss Wheddon character archetypes, themes, even dialogue, and just the way he took on a tired series and built on the backstory to make a brilliant plot. Sigorney Weaver rocks it out, and Winona Ryder at least doesn’t totally drop the ball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home