books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

February is nice and quiet

- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
This really is an amazing book. So concise and well told. I don’t know why I’m more interested in political camps now that I’m in Kenya. Maybe because there is such a recent history of extreme political repression here.
Am I expressing sufficiently how grateful I am that this book exists? It is beautiful and full of truth. Whew. It’s just so good.

- The Professor and the Madman
I went through so many feelings towards this book! I started it way back when I was in Kahawa Sukari (I got it at a yardsale at a missionary school), and I had to stop after a while because I found it so upsetting! Then last week I picked it back up and couldn’t figure out for the life of me why I would have found it so upsetting because it was interesting and engaging...And then I got really sad and bitter by the end of it. So I’m just not sure what to make of it. The sad and bitter part i think mostly had to do with being extremely tired and coming down off of the World Social Forum adrenaline. So, yeah. Story of the Oxford English Dictionary. Interesting. I guess? Non-fiction, so we can chalk up one more paltry mark on the non-fiction side of the F. vs. N-F. scoreboard.

- The Compass Rose – Ursula K. LeGuin
I remember checking this out from a library in Portland, and just not connecting with the stories (book of short stories). The first story slowed me down and I didn’t recover from that.
So, I was excited that the library here had an Ursula book, but a bit disappointed that their one book was this one.
Well, then I checked it out and then I started reading and just could not put the book down, except that i had to at the end of each story because I felt so full and heavy with emotion and some kind of vague sense of epiphany.

- Kafka on the Shore – Haruki Murakami
It’s good, but somehow it lacks something. Similar back and forth between two stories that come together as in Hard Boiled Wonderland...but doesn’t do quite as much for me. But then, you know, I already knew that and I bought it (!) anyways, because it was at a used bookstore, and what are the chances of finding any used Murakami in Nairobi anyways? So no regrets. It’s still a dang good book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home