books! yeah! and! movies!

from albuquerque to nairobi,books are being read,movies are being watched. Debby and Amanda write about this. Debby - Mennonite Central Committe in Kenya; expertise: library books // Amanda - wearing glasses in Albuquerque; expertise: all things watchable

Monday, February 26, 2007

books while i kept thinking “Oh My! I Am In Kenya!” (March, April)

- The Wedding Goes On Without Us - Ray Downing
This is the first book that I read in Kenya. The author reflects on experiences in his on-going journey of attempting to practice “poverty medicine,” in New York City, rural Appalachia, Kenya, Sudan, and Tanzania. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in reflecting upon what it means to truly engage in their chosen profession, and especially for those who are working in any kind of cultural setting other than the one in which they grew up.

- The Constant Gardener - John LeCarre
No, I didn’t see the movie. I’ll probably read it again some point down the line, now that I’m more familiar with Nairobi and Kenya, since apparently that’s one of the great things about it. Well, I thought it was an interesting plot.

- Wangaari Maathai’s Green Belt Book
Not really worth reading. But I hear the new autobiography is better.

- Stone for a Pillow - Madeleine L’Engle

- Grain of Wheat - Ngugi Wa Thiongo

- She Ate of the Female Cassava

- The Spiral Staircase - Karen Armstrong

- The Book of Flying - Keith Miller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home